Monday, July 4, 2011

Cory's Wedding Dress Quilt

First, the before picture. Doesn't she look lovely?
The Front:

Cory sent me her wedding gown and two of her bridesmaid dresses. I love the dark purple accent color.
The binding is made from the underskirt of the bridesmaid dresses.
Quilts By Kate
The flower is a pin that can be removed, but since it was one more accent piece that was sent I thought I'd go ahead and use it.

The Flower, centered.

The Back:
There wasn't enough fabric to do the backing so I bought a piece of plain white satin and then, after quilting the top to it (with some muslin in between) I used the purple tulle that Cory had underneath her skirt to cover it. The dark purple tulle from the bridesmaid dresses I used as an additional border on two sides.
You can see how the two pieces of light purple tulle sort of meet in the middle. I didn't tack those down or stitch them together because, since this used to be a dress, I like the idea of it still having fluidity.
The dark purple tulle is also not tacked down, just sewn into the border to allow for additional movement.

All quilts by kate are one-of-a-kind originals. A quilt like this would be priced at $600.00.

Finished July 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment